Publication Order of Billy Boyle Books
|Billy Boyle||(2006)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
|The First Wave||(2007)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
|Blood Alone||(2008)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
|Evil for Evil||(2009)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
|Rag and Bone||(2010)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
|A Mortal Terror||(2011)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
|Death's Door||(2012)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
|A Blind Goddess||(2013)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
|The Rest is Silence||(2014)||Hardcover Paperback Kindle|
The Billy Boyle is a mystery series written by bestselling American author James R. Benn. It is a fictional story with the World War II forming a solid background to it. The book released by Soho Press in 2006 belongs to one of the many novels in the series and features Billy Boyle as the main protagonist who is a detective with the Boston Police Department.
The Main Character
Billy Boyle works with the Boston Police Department and hails from a family full of cops. He is actually an Irish Republic person and belongs to the Second World War era. When America participates in the Second World War, his family gets paranoid of his security, since one of his uncle was killed in World War One while defending the British. His family arranges Billy to accompany an army officer Dwight D. Eisenhower, who is the family’s cousin’s husband. Bill soon finds himself as a staff investigator solving crimes which are contextual to the current scenario. Billy, who has never been out of Massachusetts, suddenly finds himself involved in a mystery relating to treason and murder. He not only shows professionalism, but also his good judgment in solving the crimes and finds himself in grave danger every time.
Plot of the Story
The book begins with a short introduction to Billy and his family before he is leaving Boston. He is shown to be a bright and young sleuth with an opinion of his own. His comment, “Everybody was all worked up over the Japs, but it seemed to me that I had enough problems with the Chinese gangs down in Chinatown without taking on the rest of the Orient” proves that point. Billy’s family is a dedicated police force but when it comes to military activities, they become anxious. They want that Billy should take part in a fight defending the loathed British. But fate has something else in store and Billy, under General Dwight Eisenhower finds himself in England. There he discovers that he is vastly unqualified for contributing to the war in any sort. Next, Billy is introduced to the Second Officer Daphne Seaton who belongs to the Women’s Royal Navy Service and Lt. Piotr Augustus “Kaz” Kazimierz ranked with the Police Free Corps. The three travel to a British estate which has been approved to the Norwegian government for exile. The Allies plan to attack Norway and while the trio are discussing that in Beardsley Hall, Billy suspects a possible German spy within the Norwegian government who needs to be located. The entire responsibility of locating that spy now comes upon Billy, to his unwillingness. Next a Norwegian official is found dead; everybody suspects it is a suicide but Billy doesn’t believe it. As a result, he starts a murder investigation which uncovers some heinous truths and twisted plots which will question the loyalty to the Norway and the German government which can change the course of the ongoing war. How Billy deals with the situation as the lone and alien American forms the crux of the story. As a subplot, the readers will be surprised to know that how the Norwegian government had no option than to order bombing in their own country as a mode of self defense. We won’t say that Billy is flawless; he also makes some minor blunders which the readers will empathise. Nonetheless, readers will be bemused to hear how the lives of individuals become valueless during war times. If you love unabashed historical facts, this book will give you all you want. If nothing but mystery is your forte, this book is simply “unputdownable”.
Apart from Billy, there are other characters that make this novel an interesting piece to read.
1. Daphne Seaton- The Women’s Royal Navy Service official who later becomes an aid to Billy’s investigation. She is also shown to be Kaz’s love interest.
2. Lieutenant Baron Piotr Augustus Kazimierz- He is mentioned throughout the novel as “Kaz”. His family was killed in Poland when the Nazis invaded. He later joins the Polish government in exile and joins Eisenhower as a translator. He is later shown to develop a deep friendship with Billy
3. Diane Seaton- She is Daphne’s sister and Billy’s paramour. She joins the British SOE and participates in a number of dangerous missions which challenges her relationship to Billy.
4. Sam Harding- He becomes a colonel later and is first shown as Billy’s immediate commander. Throughout the story, he is seen as a trusted and loyal aid who often risks himself for Billy and Kaz.
Series of Books
Billy Boyle World War II Mystery is not a solo book by James R. Benn. There are almost 11 series of Billy Boyle novel.
1. The second book in the series is The First Wave where Billy is assigned the task of surrendering the Vichy French Forces in Algeria. But soon he finds himself in the midst of all the political tensions like disagreement among the army, the military, blackmarketeers who are smuggling medical supplies secretly to Casbah by diverting the attention to their enmity with the army which results in a number of murders. Finally. Billy has to track down the killer who has kidnapped his love interest who in turn, turns out to be a British spy.
2. The third series of the novel is named as Blood Alone. In this story, Billy is posted in Sicily as the head of the main Allied force. He suffers a concussion and when he regains his consciousness, he finds himself suffering from amnesia. He forgets everything about himself and his mission in Sicily. The only clue he is left with is a yellow handkerchief with the initial L. He finds out later that a lot of people are behind getting this handkerchief. Later, he realizes that he is the personal investigator of Uncle Ike and he has to investigate the European Theatre of War. Before Billy can begin his job, several people are murdered. How Billy recalls everything about himself and solves the mysteries form the plotline of this story.
So hurry up and grab a copy of the edge-of-the-seat thriller now.Book Series In Order » Characters » Billy Boyle World War II Mysteries