BookSeriesInOrder.com

Jack Reacher Books In Order

Book links take you to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate I earn money from qualifying purchases.

Publication Order of Jack Reacher Books

Night School (2016)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
The Midnight Line (2017)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Past Tense (2018)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Blue Moon (2019)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
The Sentinel (2020)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Better Off Dead (2021)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Chronologically, The Enemy should be read first followed by Night School and then The Affair.You can then read the rest of the novels in publication order.

The short story Second Son features Jack Reacher at 13 years old and High Heat has Reacher as 16.

Publication Order of Jack Reacher Short Stories/Novellas

Second Son (2011)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Deep Down (2012)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
High Heat (2013)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Not a Drill (2014)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Good and Valuable Consideration: Jack Reacher vs. Nick Heller (2014)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Small Wars (2015)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
The Christmas Scorpion (2018)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Cleaning the Gold (2019)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
The Fourth Man is not available for purchase.

Publication Order of Jack Reacher Collections

No Middle Name (2017)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle

Jack Reacher Biography:

Jack Reacher is the lead character and the protagonist in the series of books by British author Jim Grant who writes under the pseudonym of Lee Child. The books in the series follow Reacher as he goes through a number of exploits in his world. Reacher has been called one of “this century’s most original, tantalizing pop-fiction heroes” by the Washington Post. While Lee Child himself has been called a master of his craft by publications such as Entertainment Weekly and the series has drawn quite a following.

In his debut Reacher novel, The Killing Floor, Child won the Barry award for the book of the year, and the Anthony award for literary work. Over the years, there have been many comparisons drawn between Jack Reacher and Lee Child himself. They both drink a lot of coffee, have the same height, dress the same, and have similar builds and height. Child has admitted that these observations have some merit and he based a lot of Reacher’s childhood on his own memories.

There are also those who think that Child created this series based on his anger after being made redundant from his job at Granada Television. The Jack Reacher books are well written, gripping, and many people have related to the character of Jack Reacher. The books have continued to attract a certain segment of the population that enjoy mystery and adventure stories. The Jack Reacher movie was made into two movies featuring Tom Cruise, and now a TV show on Prime Video.

Lee Child wrote the majority of the series himself, although in 2020 co-wrote with his brother Andrew Child, with the plan to hand Andrew the reins of the Reacher character down the road. The Killing Floor is the first book in the Jack Reacher series. Child was awarded with both the Anthony Award and Barry Award for Best First Novel. The book starts with Jack Reacher getting off of a Greyhound bus in the town of Margrave, Georgia for the simple reason that he heard that a blues musician that he liked had died in that town.

However, to his surprise he is arrested shortly after on the orders of the local sheriff. The sheriff claims that he saw Reacher leave the scene of a murder and arrests him for that crime. What they don’t know is what Reacher is capable of. Reacher meets the detective, Finlay, and a female officer named Roscoe who believes that Reacher is innocent. Jack will work together with them on the case to bring the right killer to justice. The series continues in Die Trying.

This book sees Jack Reacher heading to Chicago where he is witness to a woman being kidnapped off of the street. He’s in the wrong place at the wrong time which leads to him being kidnapped with her. The two are chained together and locked in the back of the van as it heads to an unknown destination. The men who kidnapped them are looking for an impossible ransom. The woman is worth a lot of money to someone and they just might get it.

However, the bad luck turns out to belong to the kidnappers. Jack may have been at the wrong place at the wrong time, but they kidnapped the wrong guy. Jack will do what it takes to save them both from this ordeal – or die trying. Another popular book in the Jack Reacher series is called One Shot. The book starts with six shots and five people are left dead. A city is thrown into a state of terror and the police need to work fast to apprehend the killer.

They do just that and make a quick arrest, but the man claims to be innocent. Worse the police, he’s asking for help from one man: Jack Reacher. Reacher heads to town and he knows the shooter well, a trained military sniper who would never miss a shot. That extra bullet is telling to him and he knows that something is not right here. Reacher teams up with a beautiful young defense lawyer as they work to clear the name of this man and find the real enemy who is pulling the strings here.

Whoever the enemy is, Reacher knows that the only way to stop him is to match his ruthlessness and cunning, and beat him at his own dangerous game. The Affair is the sixteenth entry in the Jack Reacher series. This book is actually a jump back in time to 1997 when Reacher was still in the U.S. Army. The story sees the elite military cop sent to Carter Crossing, Mississippi where he is sent to uncover all that he can after a murder. A young woman died and there was a cover-up.

The evidence points to a soldier from a local military base who has someone powerful friends that could help to cover up something like this. Reacher meets with the local sheriff who is looking for justice in this case, but the two are uncertain if they can trust each other. As Reacher looks to uncover the truth, there are others trying to bury it forever. He’ll end up uncovering a conspiracy that threatens his faith in his mission and turns him into the scary man that readers know well.

Another flashback book is Night School. This one takes place in 1996 and sees Reacher sent back to school by the army. He’s one of three in the class with the other two being an FBI agent and a CIA analyst. Like Reacher, they are both wondering why they were sent to this school. They all find out when they learn of a Jihadist sleeper cell in Germany that has received an unexpected visitor with a message.

The message is what draws their attention as the courier states that an American wants one hundred million dollars. They don’t know who is asking, who they are asking from, or what they are giving in return; and this group is tasked with finding all that out. Time isn’t on their side and all they know is that they need to find this man before an epic act of terrorism is committed. Their mission will send them from Langley to Hamburg, Jalalabad to Kiev as they try to stop this act of terror.

Book Series In Order » Characters » Jack Reacher

267 Responses to “Jack Reacher”

1. Hamish Alcorn: 5 years ago

I’ve read this thread of comments and what has become clear to me is that the movies need a new actor, someone we’ve never seen before. Basically they need to go through the portfolios of the major acting agents, cull them to all the fair haired males of between 6’3 and 6’6, and then pursue a rigorous audition process, with the proviso that they’d have to be able to seriously beef up in the gym, if they’re not already.

I think that could be magic, and of course launch a new career for the actor. Sure you lose the major star factor for audience pull but, a) the novels are already immensely popular and if you get the character right the fans of the books will do your publicity for you, and b) you still have available of the trick of a star cameo in each of the movies. Each of the books has a potentially amazing female role btw, and not just for young spunks.

2. Art Encineas: 5 years ago

I get what most of you are saying about JRs physical attributes and how it affects the character being portrayed. I am a huge fan of reading as well as watching movies.I saw the movie first, that being said I believe that a movie should have a beginning a middle and a end. It should take you on a ride transporting you into the character and the story. Not knowing the details of JR were unimportant to me just was the story and actor believable IMO Tom cruise did this I don’t care about his beliefs the size of his wallet or what he does off set did he play the role was it entertaining and believable.. I am running out of things I want to read and stumbled into this site. So i am going to start the series and see where it takes me I know I will enjoy the books more so then the movie as far as reading and interpreting the characters in my mind and look forward to getting to know the writer and his character.this will be my around my 150th book this year I mostly read sci-fi and fantasy looking forward to a comfortable change.
    AAEII

3. Joel Morales: 5 years ago

I am a HUGE Reacher fan and I just hope than one day I can enjoy a movie with Tom Cruise playing Reacher. It is so difficult to overlook the lack of size. In One Shot, Tom Cruise beat up 5 skinny 15 year old kids instead of what should have been 5 huge +200 lbs men. So dissappointed!

4. Terry Bailey: 5 years ago

I did not like the idea of Tom Cruise being Jack Reacher. He would have to look up to everyone, something Jack would never do. After saying this I forced myself open minded to watch Öne Shot” and thought he did quite well. The actor that came to mind to take the part of Jack Reacher was Clint Walker of Cheyenne Bodie fame TV series in the ?60’s. A tall well built, luberring slow talking cowboy not to be trifled with.

• jack burton: 4 years ago

Clint Walker, otherwise known as “The Chest” We had real men as actors back then, not these pretty-boys who run around pretending to be tough guys.

5. R. Don Steele: 5 years ago

MAKE ME read another 500 page mystery by David Child, use a .357 because that’s not what I want for my $10 paperback! Action, thriller, adventure. Paladin reborn. Paladin didn’t solve mysteries. WTF is Child doing? Agatha Christie has Mysteries all locked up. EGAD! Shame, shame, shame and then to make another Reacher movie with Cruise,should have cast Peter Dinklage because he can actually act.

6. R. Don Steele: 5 years ago

TOM CRUISE IS THE BEST 5-6 GUY EVERY TO PLAY A 6-5 JACK REACHER. Casting must have been a bitch. “Bad guy wanted, any ethnic group, MUST BE SHORTER THAN 5-6.” Female action character, must be no taller than 5.0. And so on. Cameraman must be able to get camera low for every shot including fight sequences. Prop master must have boxes of heights 2 inches to 12 inches for Cruise to stand on for scenes involving face to face dialogue.

7. Dominique Villarreal: 5 years ago

Can someone explain to me the short stories? Should I be reading them in between the series in the order they were released?

• Graeme: 5 years ago

I wouldn’t worry about when you read the short stories. They’re standalone and even though one or two of them “fit” between books in the chronological order of there’s nothing to them that is required reading. A couple of them go back to when Reacher is a kid or not in the army yet. You could read them whenever.

• Roguewave1: 4 years ago

Forget ’em. Every one of them suck.

8. Sue: 5 years ago

I had my serious doubts when I heard they had cast Tom Cruise as Reacher. For one thing, his diminutive size belied the character. However, after seeing the movie I was very much surprised and pleased. I think Cruise has the right amount of ego and chutzpah to pull it off. He WAS Jack Reacher. Kudos to the casting director.

9. Bill Cord: 5 years ago

Started reading the books when the first one came out and the image of Cruise as Reacher was a problem. Cruise did an aright job as Reacher but I have to agree with the Johnson as a better choice simply based on body size.

It does not matter since Cruise has a second Reacher movie due out in October 2016 but perhaps Reacher can become like Bond and have several actors play the part since Child has produced far more books than Ian Fleming and the movies could continue for years.

10. Anna Lee: 5 years ago

I just heard that Tom Cruise is going to be in the new Reacher movie. Too bad. He is too short and doesn’t have enough macho to portray Reacher. Another disappointing movie.

11. Paul mann: 5 years ago

Michael Madison would make a good jack reacher not tom cruise

12. SU Features: 5 years ago

Tom Cruise spoilt it.
    A bloke who’s really big-made (Like Steven Segal) should have been Reacher.

13. Psst: 5 years ago

When I read the books after warching the film (which was ok) I couldn’t believe they were about the same character.

I experienced the kind of cognative dissonance I had seeing Adam West as Batman the first time, but without the excuse of it being a campy parody, or the James Bond films that drifted away from the brutal direct Fleming character into an unbelivable romantic Hollywood charactature.

As an avid reader, I can fully understand why a devoted series reader would find Cruise unbekievabke in tge role of a character who could intimidate simply by walking into a room, who believes only a dozen people on Earth might be a physical threat to him.

Cruise isn’t that kind of presense. His sucessful characters share a common thread of brains not brawn, courage and determination being the reasons for success, not physical prowess. His characters are a better version of himself. Though they always seem to share a little bit of being a arrogant jerk, that flaw makes the characters more human, and is even mocked by antagonists in the MI films.

Reacher is a polar opposite. He isn’t courageous because he has no doubt that he will prevail. There’s no question that he will succeed by just being there. Seen from the outside, he could be a robot. Reacher appeals because the reader had no doubt that the bad guy will lose, the wrong made right without trickery, but using the kind of brute force that can’t be ignored.

If I had been reading Reacher novels for 10 years, I would have expected to see someone like Dwayne Johnson or Daniel Craig in the movie, or it done like a first person shooter game (Doom) with
    some CGI or long shots of the character in the action scenes. The menace of the character needs to manifest in his voice, like Darth Vader.

While I will continue to enjoy Cruise in other roles, I’m doing my best to forget the Reacher movie, and won’t watch the sequel until long after I’ve read the final novel that Child writes.

Although I think the film can stand on its own, it would have been better to change the protagonists name.

14. Gruncle: 5 years ago

I really can’t see how the series is “ruined” because of Mr Cruise, I’m not going to stop reading the books because I disagreed with a casting choice (it’s not the first time) Yeah; I liked the movie, I thought Tom pulled off Jack’s nuances quite well. No; I wasn’t even remotely happy with the casting choice, but what are you going to do. Yes I’m going to go see the new movie when it’s released, even tho Mr Cruise is still at the wheel. On a side note; I believe John Corbett would have been an excellent choice as Mr Jack (none) Reacher, he’s the same height, same age and has blueish eyes, tho he’d have to bulk up 40 odd pounds like Chris Hemsworth had to for Thor 😅 Can’t wait for a new novel.

15. Peter Kane: 5 years ago

Tom Cruise is a teeny weeny Jack Reacher. There is no way else to say it. Cruise is NO Reacher. 5 foot 7 inches is not 6 foot 5. Sorry Tom you just ain’t got it.
    Jim Grant sold out. Sorry to say but Cruise has a lot of money $$$ so maybe you too would sell out.
    Sad.

16. Kirby Bonano: 5 years ago

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is the only actor I can imagine coming close to the “real Jack Reacher”. Sorry, Tom Cruise.. you trying to be the real “Jack Reacher” is like maybe his little boy trying on his daddy’s shoes.

17. Lenny Jay: 5 years ago

Liam Neeson would have made a much more realistic Reacher than Cruise. I watched the movie and could never get my head into it because Cruise does not fit the book character.

18. Justin: 6 years ago

i actually think Joe Manganiello would have been the perfect jack reacher. He’s kind of who i see in my head when i’m reading these books. Also hits the height at 6’5″

• Kirby Bonano: 5 years ago

yeah, and we could get Joe to dye his hair blond (don’t think he’d do it, but he IS 6’6″!

19. Robin Freestun: 6 years ago

This list doesn’t show “The Visitor” published in 2000. Any reason.

• Graeme: 6 years ago

The Visitor in the UK/Europe is just renamed. It’s Running Blind in North America.

20. Alan Klaffke: 6 years ago

Sean Bean would have made a great Jack Reacher….

21. Travis Matthew Finley: 6 years ago

OK. I just hafta say it. LC sold out. How old is Reacher? How tall is Reacher? What ethnicity is Reacher? Getting a 50+yr old to play a 35-45 year old is just s setup up for having to get someone else in another 5 years. But I guess they do it with Bond and Batman. Any way, I think they should just get Dick Hill to do it.

• Grannys42: 6 years ago

I also thought Tom Cruise was a bad choice, but who is Tim Hill, I’ve never heard of him?

22. John Zepplin: 6 years ago

ok. I decided after saying I thought Cruise was a bad cast for Reacher. So, after reading five of the books, I watched the Reacher movie again. Cruise actually does a great job in that movie. The only mistake he made was not putting his hand over the rifle barrel when he shoots at the range. Jack does that when he shoots long distance. Guess I am ok with Cruise after all. Just saying.

23. John Zepplin: 6 years ago

A young Fess Parker is a perfect Jack Reacher. Dwayne Johnson ok or maybe the actor that played Longmire. I like tom cruise. But not for reacher.

24. Carl: 6 years ago

I’m not a Tom Cruise fan at all. But I have to say, even though I wish they would’ve gone with a different actor (Gerard Butler, Hugh Jackman, even John Travolta -loved him in General’s Daughter), Cruise did a good job. He wasn’t his normal, grinning-idiot self, which made him a little more sullen and matter-of-fact.

25. kfo90: 6 years ago

The perfect Jack Reacher would be Gerard Butler. All 6’2″ of him. His 45 years are also right on. AND he can act.

26. Brooke Quinn: 6 years ago

I literally stopped reading Reacher novels for a year after the movie. I have a very vivid imagination and I kept seeing his face in the same sceneries and senarios of this other faceless yet hunky tall man that was hard to miss. Tom Cruise has one of those blends in with the crowd looks. It made it hard to enjoy the jokes of how he stood above everyone and picked out of a crowd easily. Its like we read a book on little people and how they live in their house with the conviences of a little person and then the movie is made with an average size person. It just takes away some of the context. Good movie, great books, just two different things.

27. woooooyawhoooooo: 6 years ago

Yikes, lots of complaining about Cruise in this role. He did a great job with the role, if you couldn’t get passed the size that’s unfortunate. I don’t understand people talking about the rock in this role, Cruise played a great character, the rock is big but he doesn’t have the chops and he’s ripped in a way Reacher wouldn’t be caught dead. If you guys are Reacher fans then you know he’s naturally athletic and big, gets in shape through physical work but doesn’t lift weights. The rock would have ruined it for me, Reacher’s character is about no bs, getting it done, buffing up in the gymn is not his style at all, it’s the kind of self focus that is the opposite of who he is. Jackman could do it well, tone down the workouts.
    Cruise brought life to the character. There’s so many characters that get re-invented over time. How many different versions of superhero adaptations have there been, in print and in film? Someone reimagines it and goes with it. James Bond films are filled with different takes on the hero.
    If Cruise ruined it for you then that’s too bad but he seemed to capture the character. Someone like the rock couldn’t do it. The rock is the type of gymn rat that Reacher would take down because he’s smarter,, more trained and a badass. Reacher is big and strong just not in the beach body muscle way.

28. Andrew Sheehan: 6 years ago

Here’s a few for you all to consider…
    Clive Owen 6’2.5
    Gerard Butler 6’2
    Eric Bana 6’3
    These gents all have the “rugged” look I believe needed to play JR.

29. Evon Hoogeveen: 6 years ago

Where dose “the visitor ” fit in the series?

• Graeme: 6 years ago

The Visitor is known as Running Blind in North America. It is the 4th in the Jack Reacher series, after Tripwire and before Echo Burning.

30. Billy Gray: 6 years ago

Neil Flynn the tall actor Mike Heck from The Middle. I can not get his image out of my head when I think of what Jack Reacher should look like.