BookSeriesInOrder.com

Jack Reacher Books In Order

Book links take you to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate I earn money from qualifying purchases.

Publication Order of Jack Reacher Books

Night School (2016)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
The Midnight Line (2017)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Past Tense (2018)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Blue Moon (2019)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
The Sentinel (2020)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Better Off Dead (2021)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Chronologically, The Enemy should be read first followed by Night School and then The Affair.You can then read the rest of the novels in publication order.

The short story Second Son features Jack Reacher at 13 years old and High Heat has Reacher as 16.

Publication Order of Jack Reacher Short Stories/Novellas

Second Son (2011)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Deep Down (2012)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
High Heat (2013)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Not a Drill (2014)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Good and Valuable Consideration: Jack Reacher vs. Nick Heller (2014)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Small Wars (2015)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
The Christmas Scorpion (2018)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Cleaning the Gold (2019)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
The Fourth Man is not available for purchase.

Publication Order of Jack Reacher Collections

No Middle Name (2017)Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle

Jack Reacher Biography:

Jack Reacher is the lead character and the protagonist in the series of books by British author Jim Grant who writes under the pseudonym of Lee Child. The books in the series follow Reacher as he goes through a number of exploits in his world. Reacher has been called one of “this century’s most original, tantalizing pop-fiction heroes” by the Washington Post. While Lee Child himself has been called a master of his craft by publications such as Entertainment Weekly and the series has drawn quite a following.

In his debut Reacher novel, The Killing Floor, Child won the Barry award for the book of the year, and the Anthony award for literary work. Over the years, there have been many comparisons drawn between Jack Reacher and Lee Child himself. They both drink a lot of coffee, have the same height, dress the same, and have similar builds and height. Child has admitted that these observations have some merit and he based a lot of Reacher’s childhood on his own memories.

There are also those who think that Child created this series based on his anger after being made redundant from his job at Granada Television. The Jack Reacher books are well written, gripping, and many people have related to the character of Jack Reacher. The books have continued to attract a certain segment of the population that enjoy mystery and adventure stories. The Jack Reacher movie was made into two movies featuring Tom Cruise, and now a TV show on Prime Video.

Lee Child wrote the majority of the series himself, although in 2020 co-wrote with his brother Andrew Child, with the plan to hand Andrew the reins of the Reacher character down the road. The Killing Floor is the first book in the Jack Reacher series. Child was awarded with both the Anthony Award and Barry Award for Best First Novel. The book starts with Jack Reacher getting off of a Greyhound bus in the town of Margrave, Georgia for the simple reason that he heard that a blues musician that he liked had died in that town.

However, to his surprise he is arrested shortly after on the orders of the local sheriff. The sheriff claims that he saw Reacher leave the scene of a murder and arrests him for that crime. What they don’t know is what Reacher is capable of. Reacher meets the detective, Finlay, and a female officer named Roscoe who believes that Reacher is innocent. Jack will work together with them on the case to bring the right killer to justice. The series continues in Die Trying.

This book sees Jack Reacher heading to Chicago where he is witness to a woman being kidnapped off of the street. He’s in the wrong place at the wrong time which leads to him being kidnapped with her. The two are chained together and locked in the back of the van as it heads to an unknown destination. The men who kidnapped them are looking for an impossible ransom. The woman is worth a lot of money to someone and they just might get it.

However, the bad luck turns out to belong to the kidnappers. Jack may have been at the wrong place at the wrong time, but they kidnapped the wrong guy. Jack will do what it takes to save them both from this ordeal – or die trying. Another popular book in the Jack Reacher series is called One Shot. The book starts with six shots and five people are left dead. A city is thrown into a state of terror and the police need to work fast to apprehend the killer.

They do just that and make a quick arrest, but the man claims to be innocent. Worse the police, he’s asking for help from one man: Jack Reacher. Reacher heads to town and he knows the shooter well, a trained military sniper who would never miss a shot. That extra bullet is telling to him and he knows that something is not right here. Reacher teams up with a beautiful young defense lawyer as they work to clear the name of this man and find the real enemy who is pulling the strings here.

Whoever the enemy is, Reacher knows that the only way to stop him is to match his ruthlessness and cunning, and beat him at his own dangerous game. The Affair is the sixteenth entry in the Jack Reacher series. This book is actually a jump back in time to 1997 when Reacher was still in the U.S. Army. The story sees the elite military cop sent to Carter Crossing, Mississippi where he is sent to uncover all that he can after a murder. A young woman died and there was a cover-up.

The evidence points to a soldier from a local military base who has someone powerful friends that could help to cover up something like this. Reacher meets with the local sheriff who is looking for justice in this case, but the two are uncertain if they can trust each other. As Reacher looks to uncover the truth, there are others trying to bury it forever. He’ll end up uncovering a conspiracy that threatens his faith in his mission and turns him into the scary man that readers know well.

Another flashback book is Night School. This one takes place in 1996 and sees Reacher sent back to school by the army. He’s one of three in the class with the other two being an FBI agent and a CIA analyst. Like Reacher, they are both wondering why they were sent to this school. They all find out when they learn of a Jihadist sleeper cell in Germany that has received an unexpected visitor with a message.

The message is what draws their attention as the courier states that an American wants one hundred million dollars. They don’t know who is asking, who they are asking from, or what they are giving in return; and this group is tasked with finding all that out. Time isn’t on their side and all they know is that they need to find this man before an epic act of terrorism is committed. Their mission will send them from Langley to Hamburg, Jalalabad to Kiev as they try to stop this act of terror.

Book Series In Order » Characters » Jack Reacher

275 Responses to “Jack Reacher”

1. dan: 1 year ago

If possible (it’s not) the best actor to play Jack would be grafting the face of Liev Shreiber onto the body of Henry Cavill.

2. Marianne Parker: 1 year ago

Alexander Skarsgard for sure 6 ft 4 inch blonde, definitely NOT Tom Cruise .

3. niraneht: 2 years ago

This is not on the list

4. Shirley Work: 3 years ago

Mr. Childs has stated that he would go with a lesser known actor that will not bring any other background to the role and just be Reacher. Jeff Bosley is a trained working actor and a Green Beret who happens to be 6’5″ and 250. He is actively campaigning for the role ,he was born to play, and has actuality spoken to Mr. Child. Jeff continues to work everyday building his Reacher physic while waiting for casting to start Join us, Bosley Believers .and let Jeff convince you himself

5. Dc Champion: 3 years ago

I thought Tom Cruise did an excellent job portraying Jack Reacher. Throughout film history Many famous actors were short in stature: Kirk Douglas; Audie Murphy etc.They were portrayed as being big men; Shortened doorways, specific camera angles; all the things Hollywood can do to change our perception of things we see in films. Maybe there is someone more physically in tune with the book character, but I don’t think you’d find a better actor to do the job than tom Cruise+-

6. Dc Champion: 3 years ago

How Many Jack Reacher movies are there; and what are their names

7. Gary Flandro: 3 years ago

Not only the actor in the Reacher films doesn’t fit, but the handling of the plots and the details of the stories are completely trashed.

8. Philadelphian: 3 years ago

It’s obvious that a problem Child is dealing with is Reacher’s age. It’s hard to imagine a man in his mid to upper 50’s being as dominant over others physically.

I believe this is why there’s little or no reference to Reacher’s age in later novels and why Child decided to write books that took place in Reacher’s past.

Nevertheless Child proves he is a unique writer by his ability to come up with so many unique plots for one character. To me, who plays Reacher in the movies is insignificant because Reacher readers will never be satisfied.

9. Muriel Kuri: 3 years ago

I understand many of your views about how Tom Cruise doesn’t fit the profile of Reacher. I’ve seen that with many of Stephen King’s books made into movies not meeting with my approval of what I thought the hero should look like. I haven’t as yet read any of the Reacher novels, but intend to. I agree that Hugh Jackman would’ve been a great Reacher, also possibly Dwayne Johnson. But Cruise started playing him and seems to do a great job, so I can’t see anyone else playing Reacher now.

10. Utah Bob: 3 years ago

Cruise is box office gold. Very simple. But having read the series, his Reacher role did not really ruin anything for me. I still enjoy the Reacher books and view the movies as a separate entity.

11. Ferd Smurf: 3 years ago

I will not even watch the movie with Tom Cruise cast as Jack Reacher. I laughed out loud when I heard they had picked him. Tom Cruise was barely acceptable in Top Gun but fighter pilots are supposed to be wiry little self confident jack asses. Tom fit the role well. But Jack Reacher? No way can Tom pull that off. I’ve not even watched him in the Mission Impossible movies but that was mostly because the scripts and special effects were so ridiculous.

Anyway, I’ve loved the Reacher series since I picked up my first one in an airport departure lounge. So far I’ve read 14 of them and have two more on hand for my next long flight. So far I think Persuader is my favorite. There’s only been one I didn’t really like.

About my only complaint is I always catch Lee Child’s making a couple of factual errors per book. The one that I remember was Reacher seeing the “gleam of polished walnut” on the stock of an M16. There is no wood of any kind on an M16. Makes me laugh every time I think about it.

12. mandy rivera: 4 years ago

I have read every Jack Reacher novel and I have always thought that a younger Clint Eastwood would have made the perfect Reacher. Wishful thinking I know but that is the real beauty of reading, you can put ANY face
    you want on the characters you’re reading about.

13. Joe: 4 years ago

Tom Cruise if far to pretty to be Jack Reacher. Nuff said!

14. Robert Reynolds: 4 years ago

I think Chris Hemsworth would have been a good choice

15. T.L. Briggs: 4 years ago

First, I thoroughly enjoy these novels. Have read 5 so far and intend to read them all.

However, I wonder why the author never did proper research on the US Army and the Army military police. Having left the Army after 3 years with the rank of Captain, I can say had the author known anyone who had served he could have avoided some painful lack of reality in Reacher’s background.

Reacher is a West Point graduate and never would have been an investigator. Criminal investigation is handled by Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID) and while officers supervise CID the highest rank of a military CID investigator is Chief Warrant Officer (CWO4).

“As the U.S. Army’s primary criminal investigative organization and the Department of Defense’s premier investigative organization, the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command, commonly known as CID, is responsible for conducting criminal investigations in which the Army is, or may be, a party of interest.”

Until 1971 the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Agency was under the direction of The Provost Marshal General. On September 17, 1971, the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command was established as a major Army command removed from the direction of the Provost Marshal General of the Army.

In 1971 the CID Command was vested with command and control of all Army criminal investigation activities and resources worldwide. Granting major command status to the CID facilitated CID communications with all levels of the military and civilian governments while providing a centralized controlling authority over the Army’s investigative resources and activities. The Commander of CID is directly responsible to the Chief of Staff of the Army and the Secretary of the Army. The organization of the CID command brought to an end the 50-year-old problem of how to administer the CID. It has been said that the removal for cause of two Provost Marshals between 1964-1970 led the Army to decide to take the CID out from under Provost Marshals.

CID does not employ commissioned officers as Special Agents (investigators) and CIA battalions and groups are commanded by commissioned officers from the Military Police Corps. CID special agents may be military personnel (NCOs or warrant officers), or appointed civilian personnel (special agents).

By my calculation, Reacher entered on active duty in the early 1980s and being a West Point graduate would have been a 2nd Lieutenant. At the time of his separation from active service he was a Major. If he had spent his service time in the military police he would not have ever been an investigator. Perhaps, he might have been a military police commissioned officer supervising CID activities, but never an actual investigator.

In my day, enlisted military policemen were military occupation specialty (MOS) 94B, however that was changed to 31B in today’s Army. Military police (MOS 31B) protect the lives and property on Army installations by enforcing military laws and regulations. They also control traffic, prevent crime and respond to all emergencies. They are supervised by commissioned military police officers.

MP job duties include: law enforcement patrols; Interview witnesses, victims and suspects in investigations; crime scene security and processing; arrest and charge criminal suspects. The duty of interviewing in investigations is similar to what uniformed beat cops do in civilian police forces, i.e., initial interviewing before the plain clothes detectives take over.

Reacher could not have spent 12 years as an investigator and reached the rank of Major doing it.

Military assignments are usually for 2 years, may be for 6 months from time to time, and can be for 3 or 4 years. No one spends 12 years in one short assignment after another. As an officer West Point graduate Reacher would have lived in Bachelor Officer’s Quarters (BOQ) not in barracks.

Right now, I can’t think of other anomalies in Reacher’s Army background but this seems to be enough to highlight the author’s inadequate research on US Army military police.

16. Valerie Luscott: 4 years ago

I have read the Jack Reacher book as they were published and thoroughly enjoyed them.Like many I was disappointed to see Tom Cruise as “ Jack Reacher” I guess the almighty American dollar was the reason .

17. Kathy: 4 years ago

I never read a Jack Reacher book until I saw the movie with Tom Cruise. I thought he was great in the movie and being from Pittsburgh where the first movie was filmed, I was thrilled to see Tom Cruise come to the movie theater for the premier of the movie. He went to each theater and spoke. He was so polite and charismatic. I have since started reading the books and even though, the character is described as a big guy, I picture Tom Cruise as I read the books and am thoroughly enjoying them. I guess you are either a Tom Cruise fan or not, I am a fan. Everyone has their favorites.

18. Psst: 4 years ago

SInce there are 16/17 books and all have been optioned for films, even if Cruise wanted too, by the time the last one is being done he won’t be around, having died on during the filming of MI9 at the age of 66 trying to prove that he could still do all his own stunts.

19. Warren Blum: 4 years ago

Tom cruise is the wrong person to play jack reacher. I’d like to see the guy from grimm, Sasha roiz, who played the captain of the police dept.

20. Johnny Thorne: 4 years ago

I just found out today that Jack Reacher is a series of books. I loved Tom Cruise as Reacher. Tomorrow I’m planning to visit my local library to borrow a Jack Reacher novel.

I love the Joe Picket series by CJ Box. I’ve nearly read all the Clive Cussler adventures. I set aside 3 hours nightly to read and I’ve never fallen asleep at the book yet.

21. Teresa: 4 years ago

Chris Hemsworth would make a much better Jack Reacher!! He has the build for him!!

22. Brandi Marie Court: 4 years ago

Was very disappointed with the 2nd movie. They didn’t follow the story very well. Tomorrow Cruise is not the right actor for the part. the physical aspect is obvious but he still doesn’t feel like the Jack Reacher I have grown to love over the last 18 books. The first movie at least stayed close to the storyline. The second movie wasn’t even close. If you haven’t read or seen Never Go Back skip the movie. Unless you’re really bored. I very much love the series and am looking forward to Personal. Lee Child you are a brilliant writer. Don’t let them make another movie please.

23. Brandi Marie Court: 4 years ago

I have just read Never Go Back and it was phenomimal! I have read all the previous 17 books and have watched the first movie. I haven’t watched the second movie but will be very shortly. I agree with the Tom Cruise thing. He just doesn’t fit the character. Not only physically but how he acts too. I can’t really put it into words but the way Cruise “acts” as Reacher doesn’t feel like the book. It just doesn’t fit. Tom does a great job as always but I don’t feel he was right for the part in many ways. They May have cast him because he is a big name and they thought he might make the movie more profitable. I honestly think that the story would have sold it just as well. that being said I absolutely fell in love with this series. I am looking forward to the next three and any more that may be written. Thank you Lee Child!

24. I survived the GAY kenyan: 4 years ago

Great series. Read all 20 books. Reacher gets nastier as the series goes on.
    The two movies did’t match up. Cruise was not REACHER. I would have been better.

25. borngiantsfan: 5 years ago

Interesting comments here about Cruise ruining the series. My take – he didn’t ruin the books for me because when I read the books I picture what is described, not Tom Cruise.
    On the other hand, I think he ruins the movies – but for a different reason than just his height. It’s the money. Cruise movies need to hit $200M for them to continue into a series, in part because of his high salary and the production costs of the action sequences his fans want. Jack Reacher hit that mark, but Never Go Back did not (or has not yet). If a third is made, it will probably generate even lower revenues and that will be the end of the series.
    So by making Jack Reacher just another Tom Cruise action flick with the high costs of Cruise productions, it is effectively killing the movie series.

If on the other hand they had found a more suitable and lesser known actor to play Reacher in terms of looks, size, demeanor, etc AND if they kept the story line closer to that of the book (fewer high costly explosions, etc), the movie would have had lower revenues but a higher likelihood of continuing as a series.

There is just something about Cruise that is polarizing. Someone else here commented that when they see a Cruise movie they picture the character not Cruise. For me it is the opposite, he seems pretty much the same from movie to movie so all I see is Tom Cruise. And now that he has done the first 2 Reacher movies, it is unlikely another actor would be able to take over the role because he is such a big name. So I just don’t see how the movie series will continue after 1 more Reacher movie (if even that).

26. Sher: 5 years ago

I have read all of the Lee Child’s, Jack Reachers series books but the latest one. I am sorry but Tom Cruise is no way a Jack Reacher.

• frank o'shea: 4 years ago

Don’t apologise, Cruise is a huge minus-force in the series. So give him credit for that😱

27. jack burton: 5 years ago

The perfect actor to have filled the Reacher movie role was James Arness. Alas, he was about 40 years too early. Chuck Conners could have done a decent job also.

• Roguewave1: 5 years ago

Chuck Conners would have been a prefect visual from my mind and his gayness never leaked through, which Reacher would definitely not understand.

28. ArgleBjargle: 5 years ago

I enjoy the books and enjoyed the movies. In my humble opinion, if someone’s mind is incapable of working around or through inconsistencies in life, (especially in fiction) too bad for them.

29. Simon Cutts: 5 years ago

I have just watched a interview with Lee Childs on the main news channel in the UK and he said the only reason that Tom Cruise got the part as JR was that Lee and the directors was having a really hard time finding a good looking 6’5 actor for the role and that Tom is a avid Lee Childs follower that really likes the JR books. As to a comment about always watch the film before reading the books is not quite right….more often if you watch the film you wont enjoy the book and like wise if you read the book first you might enjoy it and really hate the film. Its everyone’s choice what order to watch/read. Although Tom Cruise is the total opposite to the JR character he played JR really well and look forward to seeing the new film. On a final note I love watching movies and I really love reading the JR books however I also think that the movies are a lazy way to use your minds compared to reading, the movie tells you everything who the characters are and what they are doing where as with the books you still have to use your minds as well as your eyes. And last of all keep on writing the JR story’s Lee we all love them.

30. Bynx: 5 years ago

When doing the Reacher books in chronological order I wish someone would include the 9 or 10 short stories – novellas as well. It says above, the first book to read is The Enemy. I think it should be the short story Second Son since it takes place in 1977 when Reacher was a boy.